Saturday, September 19, 2009

"You're just a bee charmer, Idgie Threadgoode. That's what you are, a bee charmer. "





Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my top ten movies ever! Remember when she went into that bee hive in the tree and got that honey!!!! I have always wondered if people really did that! And I am proud to say I finally did yesterday!

This is another beekeeper friend, Michael. He is raising his bees in the most organic fashion! He doesn't wear any protection wear! I thought he was crazy at first, and then he convinced me that his bees didn't sting him and they wouldn't sting me either. I didn't believe him at first but then realized I have always wanted to try not to wear protective gear to see if was easier working bees that way. So....I did! No one stung me! How neat it was to just be able to see the bees with my eyes with no veil over them, touch the frames with no gloves on, and have bees flying around me with no fear of getting stung. His bees are alot more calm then mine are. My girls are not as tolerant ...they take after their keeper I guess :)

So................ TOWANDA!!!!!!! ......... I am a bee charmer!!!!

And so isn't Joyce Bearden for winning the Bee Charming note cards!!!!

Thanks for all that are so encouraging about my blog! I love sharing some of my life with you all :) And I love hearing the comments about yours! Check in soon for another giveaway!

Here is a Idgie Threadgoode-ness Honey Recipe:

Apple Honey Crisp
  • 2 lbs. apples, quartered and sliced (1-1/2 quarts)
  • 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup honey, (separated)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • Warm Nutmeg Cream, (recipe follows) or ice cream

Directions

Toss apples with 1/2 cup honey, cinnamon and nutmeg in bowl. Turn into 2-quart baking dish. For topping, beat flour with butter and 1/4 cup honey until crumbly; sprinkle over apples. Bake at 350°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden. Serve with Warm Nutmeg Cream or ice cream.

4 comments:

  1. You're just a bee charmer, Angela George, That's what you are, a bee charmer : ) Very cool! I need to get some honey! If you and your family are well, hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! So fun! Can't wait to use my note cards!
    Okay...you are so my hero. Bee keeping without protective gear!! Too brave! We saw a really cool special on GBPS...it was about the fig tree and the wasps that hatch in the figs...and they showed natives using smoke to put the bees (or maybe they were wasps) on "fire alarm". So...they don't sting bc instinctively they are scooping up as much honey as they can and fleeing the hive to save themselves. Then the men just helped themselves to the honey. I thought of you the whole time.
    P.S. I need more honey too. Ants got in my house the other day and went staight for my jar. Had to trash what I had left:-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to say....what great pics!

    ReplyDelete

Queen Bee in the Kitchen

My photo
alabama, United States
A believer in Christ, a wife, a mom, !